Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Tipping on sub standard service at a restaurant

I know there has been probably a lot of topics on tipping but I crossed upon an article on lvrj.com about tipping even if the service was not that great. Has a couple ';experts'; on the topic. (Its based on tipping in here in Vegas :o)

http://www.lvrj.com/living/17842314.html

Is there ever a time you shouldn%26#39;t leave a tip? Our experts disagree

While our panel of tipping experts agrees that lowering a standard tip for substandard service is appropriate, it split on whether the tip should ever be eliminated.

';If you receive a level of customer service where you never want to go back to that place again, there%26#39;s absolutely no reason to tip,'; said Rick Garman, writer for vegas4visitors.com and author of ';Moon Handbooks Las Vegas'; and the ';Complete Idiot%26#39;s Guide to Las Vegas.';

Mary Herczog, author of ';Frommer%26#39;s Las Vegas'; and ';Las Vegas For Dummies,'; agreed.

';I know there are waiters who are serving people who are just flatly careless,'; she said. ';So I don%26#39;t think of it as stiffing. I think it%26#39;s reasonable to say, %26#39;You weren%26#39;t good and therefore I%26#39;m not going to give you a tip.%26#39;

';The question is, do people exploit that, or are they being honest about it?'; she added.

Florozeen Gray, president of the Protocol Etiquette School of Nevada, said it%26#39;s never proper to stiff, no matter how poor the service seems.

';At times, humans behave poorly because of various circumstances impeding their life during a given moment,'; she said. ';A person of substance would take that into consideration and always leave a token of appreciation, regardless of the service rendered.';

Similarly, Gail Sammons, chairwoman of the Hotel Management Department at UNLV, said she would never stiff an employee in a frontline position.

';I%26#39;ve been in a lot of those positions,'; she said, ';and I just know that these guys are gonna walk out of there with nothing in their pocket that night and they might need bus fare.';

Michael Politz, publisher of Food and Beverage Magazine, said he recommends leaving a standard tip for substandard service.

';But let the manager know about the problem,'; he added.

Simple as that :o)

-Joelyn

Tipping on sub standard service at a restaurant

I disagree and I%26#39;ve waited on many tables in my day. I would refuse to tip if my server were rude to me or if it was very obvious that they didn%26#39;t care at all about my table.

I think people make a mistake of stiffing a server when food is late or cold, (kitchen%26#39;s fault), when drinks aren%26#39;t filled as soon as the empty glass hits the table (the server might have 7 other tables, or might be inputing an order into the computer for a table of 25... them a minute or two...)or things like that.

I will always tip if the server is polite and makes an attempt to rectify a problem. I know that sometimes there is nothing they can do about it. I just hope people don%26#39;t start stiffing servers routinely because they will justify it with any little problem....:(

Tipping on sub standard service at a restaurant

I am glad you explain the difference Steph as I have a couple friends that have no patience and wonder why the waiter/waitress hasn%26#39;t come and filled the glass while the place is busy. If the area is not busy and is slow then there is no excuse.


You know, it%26#39;s not what happens, but it%26#39;s what the staff does to rectify the situation.

Bradley Ogden was really busy and screwed up my order. I expected a free round of drinks to make me happy. Instead, they comped the whole bill. I tipped big.

I%26#39;ve got no problem stiffing someone if they don%26#39;t take care of me properly and I would tell the management about it, too.


If you get bad service, you%26#39;re not actually stiffing the server if you don%26#39;t leave a tip... but it should be really bad or nonexistent service to go to that extreme.

Judge how the server behaves and it should be fairly evident if the server is responsible for any mistakes. 90% percent of the time, it%26#39;s server%26#39;s fault. If the kitchen crew is making mistakes, odds are the restaurant will be empty because they%26#39;ll make mistakes on all orders and the word will be out.


If there is even a rudimentary level of service, I give a tip of 10% anyway. The job is tough, and I have had stressful days at work myself. Also, I am not a mean-spirited d*ckhead, demanding a-hole.

Usually I will go 20%


Bad service = a tip alright...$0...and thats that.

...I%26#39;m over feeling guilty because my waiter has a ';tough'; job....or might be having a ';bad day';....I don%26#39;t give a crap.

Do your job and do it well....or you get nothing. If your cat died this morning, if your boyfriend left you, if you can%26#39;t make your rent....it%26#39;s just not my problem. Sorry.

I%26#39;ve poured a trillion beers in my day, washed a ton of dishes, served a bazillion sandwiches. A customer deserves the best you can give when you turn up to work. If you can%26#39;t, for whatever reason give your best, then take the day off, or don%26#39;t expect a tip.

Tipping, as Michael Politz recommends for even sub standard service....is what is causing the service level to drop these days....if a waiter knows he%26#39;s going to get 10-15% for very little effort....why bother giving his best?

shirl%26#39;....tough tipper, I guess.


If we get poor service, we%26#39;ll leave a tip, but it%26#39;ll be a few pennys and nickels. Because we%26#39;re British, if we leave a US restaurant and not leave a tip, no matter how bad the service, the server will assume it%26#39;s %26#39;because they%26#39;re British, they didn%26#39;t leave a tip%26#39;. We%26#39;ve been going to the US for a good few years now, and know exactly how to tip, so rather than leave nothing, we%26#39;ll leave a few random coins, just to prove to them we didn%26#39;t simply %26#39;forget%26#39;. As far as I%26#39;m concerned, we%26#39;ll tip any server about 15% provided the service they provide is good. If it%26#39;s excellent, that figure goes up, and equally goes down for poor service. We won%26#39;t take out %26#39;kitchen errors%26#39; on our server, it%26#39;s not their fault, but if they put the wrong order in (like when my wife%26#39;s %26#39;well done%26#39; steak came out medium-rare, because the server didn%26#39;t write the order down as she took it), then they%26#39;re tip will be chopped down a bit.


Tipping shouldn%26#39;t be an issue if both service professionals %26amp; diners understand the basics...

Servers: Leave your personal life at the time clock, know the product you are selling, because you are a sales person and that is your chosen profession, anticipate your Guests needs - make them feel welcome and appreciated for being there and Thank them for coming in - No Guests = No reason to hire service professionals.

Diners: Be friendly, look around you and understand the environment you are in - Do they seem short staffed? Are they packed to the gills?- Poor Management is not the servers fault - Be Understanding. Be clear when ordering. Do they make adjustments? Are they attentive? Do they suggestively sell to improve your dining experience instead of just selling you More?

Both my husband and I run successful restaurants. I want to KNOW how you enjoyed your dining experience. Good, Bad, Indifferent. If I don%26#39;t know .. I can%26#39;t fix it.

Pet Peeves?: Guests with Gift Certificates, Passport Cards, Coupons - who tip attentive servers on the discounted price. Servers who expect 20% just for being an Order Taker and the attitude that goes with it. :/ Diners who overlook the complexities of a well crafted dish and complain about the quantity of food on the plate - know what your experience is meant to be. If it falls short .. let someone in charge know. But, please do it nicely, our goal is your satisfaction.

When we dine out we rarely go without tipping. That would have to be just plain horrid service, after considering the dynamics of our environment. But, we do not leave without having a manager visit our table. We are very generous tippers to a server who takes the time to explain things, know the product and steers us to (aka upsells us) into items that improve our dining experience - food/wine pairings, additional sauces/garnishes, etc. We want to reinforce this type of service! :)

A great dining experience - whether fast food, casual dining or fine dining - is successful when both the diner and the service professional care about taking care of each other. Then it%26#39;s a beautiful thing :)


Good servers get good tips 95% of the time.

No tips, its a message to the ones who should have never taken server job to find a new line of work.

When I know I was swindled on a meal, I do leave pennies to send a message.


Both of my brothers worked the restaurant business for years, so I consider myself a good tipper. Most times, I leave around 20%. (The math is easier than 15% anyway, and I%26#39;m lazy.)

I can count on one hand the times in my life where I%26#39;ve left NO tip at all. The service has to be really, really bad for me to leave under 10%.

But the times I left nothing? It was because the wait-er/ress was rude, obnoxious, and made it clear the customer was irrelevant.

So I don%26#39;t feel guilty in those situations about not leaving a tip.

  • computer protection package
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment