Friday, April 13, 2012

Childrens Summer Camps? / RV hire

Hi





Already tried California forum!





I am planning a 3 week family West Coast trip in July / August 2010 (for our 25th Anniversary). Somewhere in this we want to meet up with some friends in Las Vegas who got married the same year (without children, their 19 year old will stay at home). We are hoping to find a residential camp for our boys who will be 15, 13 and 10 for a week. They are excited about this. Once we work out how to do this we can arrange things around it. We did find one camp near Redwood but I think it is a bit too far (and rather expensive, think it may be cheaper for us to fly out the 19 year old and leave the 4 of them together!)



Has anyone tried sending kids to camp as part of an American experience??







We were also interested in any info re RV hire as we would like to have one for about a week, picked up / dropped off in different locations.



Childrens Summer Camps? / RV hire


I think camp would be a great idea - it%26#39;s a North American experience for sure and friends are made at camp that last a lifetime.





I did some searches online and couldn%26#39;t find anything other than a few vague websites about summer camps - if you were coming to Canada I could suggest quite a few! I%26#39;m a researcher by profession so here%26#39;s what I suggest if you don%26#39;t get any feedback from locals here on TA, you could try contacting a school or social service agency in the Las Vegas area by email (find one through Google) and ask if they are aware of any summer camps. A lot of summer camps are oriented towards certain segments (ie Christian camps) or various interests (sports, music, acting, etc.) but some are general camps with horseback riding, archery, and the campfire experience.





I%26#39;m not sure about RV rentals but I found one website - http://www.usarvrentals.com/ which lists daily rentals - a lot of our friends who use RVs are modifying their routine this year, due to the combination of the high cost of gasoline (petrol). YOu may find that the daily rates at the RV parks and the daily RV rental rates may be cost prohobitive. There are also suites with kitchens at chain hotels (like Marriott Residence Inn or Staybridge Suites) that might be more reasonable. But if you are looking for the quintessential camping experience, an RV is a great way to go.



Childrens Summer Camps? / RV hire


Here%26#39;s a listing for a camp that I found - click on the link





mytravelguide.com/attractions/profile-685202鈥?/a>




Check with UNLV to see if they have sports or computer camps. I know our local university does.




Here is where some old neighbors sent their kids, they were horse lovers and had a blast!





http://www.sagebrush-ranch.com/




www.paliadventures.com/鈥?/a>





My friend and I were looking at this site, can%26#39;t comment on anything since we haven%26#39;t used them yet, but it looks very fun!




I can%26#39;t comment on sending the kids to camp, but regarding the RV, we used Cruise America and picked up in Las Vegas and dropped off in Phoenix, Arizona. They have a lot of specials for one way trips. www.cruiseamerica.com




Summer camp is a great idea.





I don%26#39;t have kids in camp, so I have no personal recommendatoins. I know that in Los Angeles, the L.A. times runs (or used to run) a special advertising section for summer camps every year. I would guess that the Las Vegas Review Journal does, as well, but I don%26#39;t bother to notice it!





Here is one link that might help:





mysummercamps.com/camps/nevada-summer-camps.鈥?/a>





As to RV rentals with different pick-up and drop-off locals, I have never done that. Especially because my car was parked at the lot where I picked up, so I needed to get back to it! RV rentals are pretty pricey; I find it better to stay in a hotel! But I%26#39;m not traveling with a bunch of kids!




Thanks to you all,





It looks like we cant afford camp and RV hire!!! I have been checking the links. The Las Vegas camp is a great convienient location but just in June??? (but I did find an email contact so will try that)





Horse Camp would work brilliantly for my youngest but my middle child is allergic! (wouldn%26#39;t be any interest to my eldest either).





Pali Adventures is the camp near Redwood we found, it looks fantastic and has a Rock Star option (amongst many other good options)our kids would really enjoy (although we were really hoping for a very traditional experience). It costs nearly 1600 dollars per child for 1 week. We could stretch to that but RV hire could be 4000 dollars per week (unless we were lucky with the last RV link which has cheap deals for moving RV%26#39;s from one specific place to another..)





Thanks again, thats really helped


  • beauty salons
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment