Friday, April 20, 2012

The Paris Balloon

The other night my wife and I were watching the John Adams mini-series on HBO and during part of that episode, it showed Adams in France at a balloon event. When they first showed the balloon, I said to my wife, that is the Vegas Paris balloon, not knowing the history of the balloon. As it turns out that was the first recorded manned balloon flight It was made in a hot air balloon built by the Montgolfier brothers on November 21, 1783. The flight started in Paris and reached a height of 500 feet or so. The pilots, Jean-Fran莽ois Pil芒tre de Rozier and Francois Laurent (the Marquis of d%26#39;Arlandes), covered about 5 1/2 miles in 25 minutes.



I had always wondered about the relationship of the balloon in Vegas to Paris.



The Paris Balloon


Well, thanks for that! I always wondered about that, too!



The Paris Balloon


GREAT Info! I had wondered that often also. I knew balloon air flight originated in France but never knew the history......




Finally, mystery solved. Thanks for the info.





Cheers,




The balloon at the Paris hotel was not the first balloon on the strip. Years ago there was a balloon outside the Frontier hotel. You could ride in it. You couldn%26#39;t travel in it - you just went up and floated up there for about 15 minutes and then came down. I don%26#39;t know how much they charged but people did use it.




Oh vp...I don%26#39;t remember that. Do you remember about what year(s)? We started going in %26#39;93 so wonder if it was before then.





I also think the heat and sun beating on the Vegas balloon has really faded the colors.




Funny you should mention it....





But the first man in SPACE was also a balloon flight!





I saw something on the Science Channel about Project Excelsior, the first man to actually leave the earth%26#39;s atmosphere and venture into outer space.





Check out: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Excelsior





www.youtube.com/watch鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment