Friday, March 30, 2012

Question on Tipping

In my country, we seldom need to tip. Only restaurants charge a 10% service charge to the bill, so I%26#39;m a little worried about tipping.





I have read posts on tipping and now know how should I tip certain people, but still have a few questions.





1) Do I need to tip the front desk clerks if I ask them to offer me a high floor room and they do?





2) Do I need to tip the concierges if I ask them for information?





3) When do I need to tip the bellboy? Is it when I deposit my baggage or when I retrieve it? It might not be the same person.





How much should I tip the above persons.





Thanks much!







Question on Tipping


If you search for ';tipping'; you%26#39;ll find a slew of posts about it.





You only need to tip the front desk clerk if you feel they went out of their way to put you on a higher floor, or gave you a view or an upgrade. Even then, it is totally at your discretion. The normal tip is $20





You do not need to tip the conceirge unless they moved heaven and earth to do something for you. Doling out information is their job. If they arrange a tour, get show tickets, etc. for you, then you would tip them. Again, the normal tip would be $20.





You tip the bellman when you pick up your bags, not when you drop them off. You%26#39;d tip the person who brings the bags to your room.



Bellman get $2-3 per bag.





Hope that helps!



Question on Tipping


model--





Very classy reply, I am sure that answers Moonlady%26#39;s simple question.




1) Do I need to tip the front desk clerks if I ask them to offer me a high floor room and they do?





- A high floor room is usually the same cost as a low floor room. A modest tip maybe in order if they are very polite and have to go out of the way to accomodate you but don%26#39;t go crazy over it, either. If they are putting you in a room that is a higher class than what you paid for, then a tip is a must.





2) Do I need to tip the concierges if I ask them for information?





- No tip for just answering questions. Tip if they are making reservations for you and even more if they are doing something like getting you seats to sold out restaurants or shows.







3) When do I need to tip the bellboy? Is it when I deposit my baggage or when I retrieve it? It might not be the same person.





- My personal inclination would be to only tip when the bags are delivered. However, these guys apparently do not pool tips so you are supposed to tip when you deposit and when you retrieve. I would tip a bellman who actually delivers luggage to a room than I would one who simply checks my bags, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment