Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Beached Whales , pt 2 : the Spa

You guys were the greatest giving me the courage to try out the Vegas pools with my head up, So here%26#39;s the next really big hurdle for me: The SPA! Hate to keep scheduling pedicures and facial..A lot like buying shoes and jewelry, if you know what I mean. Getting nekked for a massage scares the bejingles out of me. I wouldn%26#39;t want the masseuse to be grossed out with the not so pretty task at hand. Are there really enough towels in the world?

OK, you other women who have long since left those size two Barbie days behind you, If you have spa experience, I%26#39;m all ears. well and all a few other things too:) will I look silly wearing a swimsuit in the dipping pool? Are showers private?

Thanks to all who understand and do not criticize. Most of us already know to get out there and enjoy life, the hell with what anyone else thinks. But sometimes a little information makes a huge difference in our courage. These things may be so obvious to a lot of you, but some of us still struggle. Having such kind words and support from this forum is golden!

Beached Whales , pt 2 : the Spa

Everything you see on ads or TV is straight out of Central Casting.

Beached Whales , pt 2 : the Spa

The people who work in the spas see everything and have heard it all as well............they work on anorexic bodies, they work on tall and short ones, the work on wide ones, they work on blubbery ones. They%26#39;ve done it all and won%26#39;t blink an eyelash when they see you. Any spa I%26#39;ve been in, the shower facilities are pvt and I%26#39;ve seen naked and bathing suits on bodies when in the spa areas. If having a massage, you do not have to be naked if that bothers you, it%26#39;s acceptable to wear underwear. If you are worried and if you think you don%26#39;t look like you%26#39;re a 25 yr old hot body, remember that those people have seen much worse than you!

Go and enjoy!


The people who work at the spas are doing their jobs and nothing more. Believe me- they don%26#39;t care what their clients bodies look like-as long as they get paid. They do this all day- day after day, week after week, month after month and year after year. They have seen it all-and more!

The idea of a spa experience is to relax and enjoy it. Therefore- do whatever you feel comfortable doing. If you don%26#39;t want to get nude for a treatment- don%26#39;t. If you want to wear a bathing suit in the pool-wear it! You will see some women in bathing suits and others without one so no matter what you choose- you will have company. The showers are private.

Now just relax and enjoy the experience. Once you are there you are going to find out that all this worrying is for naught. A massage is so relaxing all your worries and cares are going to drift away. Don%26#39;t worry about your body- you are going to be among women of every shape, color, size, etc. People are so busy relaxing and enjoying their own experience they have no interest in anyone else. You are NOT going to gross out anyone-not the staff, not the other women!

Once you go through a spa treatment the first time- you are going to want to do it again and again and again. And the next time- you will probably not care if you are naked or not!

Have a wonderful time- and stop worrying!


One more thing. The staff will know what they are doing. They know how to keep private areas of your body private during a massage! So you don%26#39;t have to worry about that part.


I%26#39;ve actually been offered ';paper knickers'; at several very posh spas if I wanted, so don%26#39;t worry!

I once one a weekend at a very, very expensive spa near San Diego and there were people of all sizes, shapes, etc there. The staff doens%26#39;t blink an eye at what size you are, etc. Their job is to make you feel relaxed and to enjoy the experience!


I say go for it! Remember: everyone is their own worst critic. I am sure that the spa professionals in Las Vegas will be more than happy to provide any service that your heart desires.

Think about all of the thousands of people (daily)who get massages in Vegas. Most of them are bound to be ';less than ideal'; (which is an impossible standard set by the media in the U.S., which only 1-2% of the population can live up to). If you start to get a bit self-conscious, remember: you probably will never see any of those people ever again!

BTW - I ALWAYS wear my underwear when I get a massage. If that%26#39;s how you feel comfortable, wear them too. Also, I wear my swimsuit in the dipping pools and whirlpools. I think that you will find plenty of both (modest and ';free';) at the spa of your choice.

Enjoy!


I am by no means a ';perfect'; body and love to get massages.I wear nothing and have never been uncomfortable.They are very good at only exposing the part of the body that is being worked on.I have never been uncomfortable.

I have psoriasis also, which is mostly under control, but I do have a patch or 2 on my legs that look pretty bad especially to someone that does not know about the disease. I always point this out to the staff and explain what it is, not contagious etc. and they have almost always known what it was, were very unconcerned and usually tell me how it is nothing and that they have had people whose bodies are covered in it. Only once have I had someone who looked at my patches and looked horrified!( just dry red patches, c%26#39;mon!) I should have asked for someone else! She barely touched my legs even though only 1 small part on my ankle had a patch. This is the exception, however.

Well, I ramble, yes just do it! I have had many massages and you will love it!!


Hi MaMaCee I am very self-conscious about my body. I look like someone from Biafra or another third world country. Skin and bones (except for big boobs) and nothing I do helps me gain weight. I came to the conclusion years ago that if I don%26#39;t accept myself for what I am/have then I am only hurting myself. Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

Enjoy your outer package and admire your inner one.

Life is very short and the sands in the hourglass are surely falling faster - GB


I%26#39;m not large, but I%26#39;m definately squishy!! LOL! I had a massage at TI last year. Here%26#39;s how it went...I checked in and they gave me a robe and sandals and a key to a locker. The locker was in a public room, but there were private changing rooms available, which I used. I had also brought a bathing suit for the whirlpool, but I went au natural under the robe for my massage. The therapist took me into the room and told me to hop up on the table sunny side down. She then stepped out of the room while I hung up my robe and got myself situated. There was a sheet on the table so I covered myself from the waist down. (I was face down...remember...) She came back in after knocking discreetly. She moved the sheet around as she massaged me to keep me covered. Then I rolled over onto my back and the sheet stayed up covering the ';girls';. I never felt naked or embarrased at all. I put my bathing suit on to go into the whirlpool, but I guess it%26#39;s clothing optional. That%26#39;s just not for me though...to each his own!

Don%26#39;t worry. You can be as discreet as you want to be in the spa. They don%26#39;t care at all. Hope this helps!


My experience is much like what steph124ny wrote about. There is usually a waiting room where you sit in your robe and slippers waiting until you are called for your massage. There are two sizes of robes, so don%26#39;t worry one will fit you. If you are having a second procedure then you will return to the waiting room to wait again. There is usually water and fruit in the waiting room with soothing music playing. After the massage you will feel SO relaxed and happy. Enjoy!

  • how to curl hair with rollers
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment