Saturday, April 21, 2012

Taxi Cab with ';No Tunnel';??

I%26#39;ve seen advice on here that you should tell your cab driver ';no tunnel.'; What does that mean?





We%26#39;ll be flying in to Vegas and arriving at 10:20 p.m. on a Thursday. We need a cab to the Venetian. What should we say? And what should we expect to pay? Thanks!



Taxi Cab with ';No Tunnel';??


say exactly as you say the advice here is



';no tunnel'; (I would add ';please';)



it%26#39;s easy and an overblown sacre topic on this forum



If you want to avoid the strip I would add to ask the driver to enter from the back - they know. if you want to the strip let the driver know.



Taxi Cab with ';No Tunnel';??


One time I was all prepared to say ';No tunnel, please'; to the driver. Before I said anything other than which hotel we were staying at, he said, ';do you want to go the fast way or the strip way, which is slower?';





Hmmm very sneaky.





I had driven in Vegas before a little on my first two trips, so I should have thought that through. With those choices, I knew I didn%26#39;t want to go the strip way, so I said, ';The fast way'; and then we proceeded through the tunnel. We were talking quietly about it in the back seat... I couldn%26#39;t believe I was ending up in the tunnel. We even ended up on a highway. I know he could have taken Paradise Road or some other route.





We paid something like $21 just to get to Flamingo. I admit it was pretty fast, though.




';We paid something like $21 just to get to Flamingo. I admit it was pretty fast, though.';





Well, then it sounds like he did EXACTLY what he said he was going to do!





I love the ';tunnel paranoia'; here. My gosh people, there may be a few bad apples out there driving cabs, but it%26#39;s not like they see every fare as a chance to cheat you!





Realax! You%26#39;re on vacation!




Well, all I have to say is if you have been tunneled and paid more than twice the cab ride, it is worth bringing up!





It obviously is more than just an isolated incident or people would not post it as many times as they do. I would rather try my luck at the tables or in a machine than pay a cabbie more than he should rightfully be charging for a route he should not be taking.





I plugged in the taxi cab authority into my phone in case they try any funny stuff. Not paranoid, just prepared!





BTW- fastest way to NYNY...Tropicana?




';BTW- fastest way to NYNY...Tropicana? ';





I%26#39;d take the tunnel.





Sorry, couldn%26#39;t let that one slip past....:)





Tropicana is your best bet.




i%26#39;d just tell them the hotel you%26#39;re going to. if you%26#39;re staying mid-south strip and they take you through the tunnel (i-215/15) then you%26#39;re not out of luck. they%26#39;ve just tried to stiff you an extra $10. when they get your luggage out and tell you the fare, ask him why he didn%26#39;t take you the shortest route. they are required to BY LAW! this is stated in their cab on passenger side. if he gives you any grief threaten to ask a policeman what he thinks. your cab driver will then drive off :)




very funny spinguy.....guess I set myself up for that one, huh????




LOL, being new to posting, I thought hard about writing it........for like 5 seconds, lol.




I was very concerned about all this before my last trip but once we were there we really didnt think about it. It seemed each time we got in a taxi we were handing over $25 (including tip). Luxor to Downtown, downtown to luxor, luxor to wynn, etc all ended up $25 each. We didnt think about it - just paid glad to have made it to where we were going in one piece. Those taxi drivers can be scary sometimes (their driving not the driver)!! We actually enjoyed the drivers we had...all liked to talk and the stories were interesting! Lots of history and what was new, what to avoid etc. Worth the tour guide price (long haul).




If I were staying downtown I would prefer they take the tunnel.





Look at it like this, if they take the tunnel and you don%26#39;t want them to, just take it out of their tip.





Topic not worth losing sleep over in my opinion. People just looking for something to worry about.





LL

No comments:

Post a Comment